Thursday, December 3, 2009

From 11/30/2009, Ethan's Surgery

First of all, THANK YOU to everyone for your kind words and prayers. I was so nervous that the big day was finally here. It was really reassuring to hear from everyone and especially two people whose son's had a similar reconstructive surgery.

We got to UNC at 7 am and went into admissions for surgery. When we arrived to the surgery unit we waited a good 2 hours.

They took us back and Dr. Bukowski explained everything to us all over again about how he would do the partial circ. to release his trapped penis and then do a vertical incision down the shaft to release the penis where the short shaft/foreskin on the underside trapped his penis inside his body. I asked him if it was common, but more so to see how many he did b/c I heard it's a rare birth defect and he then said he's done them plenty of times. Which re assured me all the more.

The anesthesiologist (spell?) came in and had us sign paper work and he was off in no time. They put him out with a gas then gave him a spinal block and kept him under general anesthesia. After the 4 hours were up the doctor came to consult with us in the recovery area, he was SO SO SO nice. He told us not to be alarmed when we first see it bc it will be very ugly and swollen but that in a few weeks it should all heal nicely.

A little while later I was asked to come to the recovery room to see Ethan (only one parent could come and i will be damned if Doug got to go and not me, I am stingy and very protective lol).

So I got back there and felt SO bad bc he was inconsolable and crying non stop. I felt SO bad. His foot was so swollen from his iv and the first time I saw his penis after wards I kind of cringed bc it was a bloody mass:(

After a good few minutes they gave him some tylenol 3 and codone for pain and he was good and fell asleep. They were able to then put us in a discharge room afte rmonitoring his stats and Doug got to come in then. The nurse went over instructions briefly but everytime I asked a question she'd say "it doesn't really matter the doctor didn't leave this in the instructions" but I am DUMB and I WANT to know, I know CRAP about penile surgery ..sadly..

So then we discharged and when we got back to Fayetteville we picked up his script and some neosporin and went home. I got to feed him and change him (and yes, morbid as it is I took a photo of it b/c incase god forbid anytihng was to go wrong i want all documentation and all). Right now it's held up by a clear bandage that looks like tape, you can see how grossly swollen it is and you can see his Y incision stitching. I pretty much can't recognize it really right now and just will go on the doctor's word that it will look better within the following weeks. He said we cant take off the bandage for 2 days, and to keep it dry except, i don't know how it's possible when urine already got into the clear bandage :(

And no soaking baths for a week. I just now pray it all heals well.

As crappy as this whole experience has been I am THANKFUL it was not the initial diagnosis of micro penis our crappy pediatrician gave us. I am also thankful after much painful pushing I found UNC and Dr. Bukowski and I am thankful he saw Ethan when no one else would and more so that he did everything he could to fix his defect.

I'll post more later but right now I'm going to get back to watching my little guy sleeping, and again THANK YOU everyone for your words it REALLY helped with my anxiety last night and today <3

5 comments:

  1. This goes to the amazing woman who wrote this blog, you are a brave and wonderful mother and your blog is very touching. I would love to somehow get in contact with you and get your advice on a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do feel free to contact if I canbe of any help out doctor at UNC was a blessing.

      Delete
  2. Hi there - I've followed your page and I hope this finds all things well for Ethan... I'm facing an almost mirror situation and would be so grateful for your advice. Feel free to message me if you have the time - thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know if you still need any help or Insight <3

      Delete
  3. Please email me if u still read this blog my son has the same issues going in to get the referral this week he's gonna be 2 at the end of this month I'm interested in seeing how ur son is doing these days n if everything has been normal thank you

    jminshall@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete