Thursday, December 3, 2009

Photo Journaling Ethan's Surgery Progress?

I know the title sounds a bit morbid; photo journaling my son's reconstructive surgery. BUT, I have got to tell you how insane it was for me trying to google images of this surgery and finding NOTHING - no stories on similar surgeries, NOTHING.

As a parent sometimes our first source to turn to for information and reassuring photos is the internet, and for me to not be able to find anything was HARD.

I imagine there are TONS of other people who are told the same thing we were told and they should know to never just trust one doctor and always get a second opinion..I know I would find something like Ethan's story and his healing photos VERY helpful. I know I WISHED to the high heavens I would have been able to find something to ease me for it all, and there was jack!

I also think as stressed as I was, I know JUST what parents who have a little boy w/ the same defect would be going through and they'd find it resourceful to know how he healed, how the surgery went and see photos of his daily progression.

The first couple of days were icky looking the last day in particular was GROSS. But today things are really taking a turn for the best and I am so happy!! I honestly thought (as bad as it looked initially) that it would look far worse, the doctor made it out to be uglier than it was, and truth be told as he is healing I am seeing what remarkable work he REALLY did do. It is amazing to me how he could use the foreskin to regraft his penile shaft where he did not have adequate skin and it trapped everything inside. AMAZING!

All the while he had explained the procedure to me I still couldn't figure it out, it was too hard for me to wrap my head around and grasp exactly what he was saying.

I really think other parents who are facing the same nightmare we went through earlier in the year would be able to breath a sigh of relief if they saw Ethan's story and were able to compare it to their own child's and know there IS hope. I also shudder to think how many other parents were misdiagnosed and told their children had micro penis as well when it really wasn't that at all but rather a congenital buried/trapped penis. As much as I hate my pediatrician for the nightmare she put us through with a misdiagnosis, I am VERY thankful she stopped the circumsicion because the urologist told us had they done it and she hadn't stopped it the obgyn would of botched it and he'd never have a normal penis b/c he would of not had that foreskin to use as a graft to reconstruct the shaft!

I really have so much thanks to give to Dr. Bukowski, he really did great work, if you could see the before and after, it's just amazing! (granted it's not the prettiest thing during the healing process) it is just NORMAL!! I am sure there will be scaring but the best thing for me is knowing that our prayers and cries were not made in vain and that when no one else heard us, Dr. Bukowski stepped up and helped, he did perfect work and he was just a wonderful surgeon and urologist. I am greatful that Ethan was able to have this done now as opposed to later where he would remember it and or not want to do it, and I am thankful Dr. Bukowski did it before he hit any stage in his life where he would have to face the dreaded locker room scenario and not be able to explain his birth defect to his peers.

I never really cared how things looked b/c he is my son and I love him no matter what, but what I cared about and what hurt me more than anything was knowing he'd be at some point in his life wondering why he was different and if I didn't step up and force myself to argue with his pediatrician, and force myself to dial every pediatric urologist in North Carolina even though so many people wouldn't give us the time of day, I'd always hate myself for giving up.

And Dr. Bukowski I believe really was Ethan's saving grace, I am so thankful we were able to find him and that he didn't give us the cold shoulder like everyone else. I am thankful in a sense everyone else turned us away b/c of that we were able to find the best of the best and again, I really do know deep in my heart God answered my prayers when he heard my begging for Ethan not to have the micro penis condition, and begging for someone to properly diagnose his condition, and then later begging for it to be able to be treated and fixed.

This year was the worst year but it was also a year to be thankful for as well as a year to learn and grow from. Sometimes we question why we are put in certain life situations and we say we are not strong enough, but the truth is everyone is really stronger than they think they are and any situation you hate in your life could ALWAYS be worse...and I only wish his urologist and the staff knew just how much I really am thankful from the bottom of my heart for every single last thing they did for Ethan. How do you begin to thank someone for changing your son and making the correct diagnosis and treatment? I just hope they will one day know how much we appreciate all they did.

28 comments:

  1. Hi, my sister has twin boys (4 months old) and both were born with buried penis. No one said anything about it and the circumcision was done on both. They just had their first urologist appt today at Texas Children's Hospital and he pretty much said they were screwed because their is no skin to work with. It was disheartening for my nephew's sake, to read that Ethan was able to have the correction because he did NOT have a circumcision. Makes me think the urologist was not just being pessimistic. :-( Regardless, thank you for your blog about such a touchy subject. I too, hadn't been able to find anything about congenital buried penis online. I'm so happy that your son Ethan was able to have his surgery and hopefully lead a normal life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your nephews . I have heard some success stories in regrafting skin after circ. but how it is complicated. Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Hi - the similarities between your story and my son's situation are uncanny. Would it be possible to contact you directly as I could really use some advice. If you wouldn't mind, would you please email me at nicelyj2@yahoo.com?

    Many thanks,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I have your email? I wanted to see the pictures and cannot see them. My son has this surgery in a few months. I'd like to ask you some questions about it. Thanks!

    ashleyturner1016@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son has the same birth defect and we are deciding on surgery. May I contact you and ask you some questions? I'd like to see the pictures and see the process. Thanks!

    charley.zhu@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finding your blog has been a godsend. There is not much available on the subject especially with infants. My son is scheduled to have surgery on Tuesday. This is the third attempt. Each of the previous times he has had a cold and the urologist and our family decided against going forward because of the risks. I wanted to see the
    pictures and ask you some post-op questions. Thank you.
    tashianamayo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Im 100% sure my son has the same condition and our urologist does not want to do anything about it. I would love to see the pictures regarding the surgery and recovery so I know what options are out there for my little man!

    mummamelwilliams@hotmail.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!
    We are in the same situation...
    If you have the time, please send me an email and the pics you made, so I can ask you about the whole procedure.
    I hope you're all doing fine and have already forgotten this nightmare.
    autogravir@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, our son has the same condition. He is 3 months now so we are scheduling the surgery soon. I'm curious as to how everything went after the surgery, how your son healed, and how he is doing now, since I noticed your blog is a few years old. I'm so glad to have come across your blog. You're right, there is nothing to be found online about concealed penises in children. Please email me, mamatran419@gmail.com, if you get the chance. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you send me an email with your contact info and delete my comment after. I don't want my personal info searchable Ali.Arnason@gmail.com so I can share our story and find out more about yours?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi maybe my son has the same condition and our urologist does not want to do anything about it. I would love to see the pictures regarding the surgery and recovery so I know what options are out there for my little man!

    ask.question1977@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please email me pics of before and after. I am really looking to correct this before he gets any older. (6monthsnow). waylonssmomma@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, my son is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday and I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to find some pics and information about post-op stuff. Would love to see the before/after pics if you don't mind! cindyboecking(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My son was told that he need the operation. Appreciate if you could help to send me some pics. We feel very nervous at the moment. My email is dangvuanh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, my son has the same condition but had a different type of surgery and I am not happy with the results. I worry about him daily. I would really like to ask you some questions if you don't mind. Would you please email me at jessicamdjones@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad to have come across your blog. Our son has the same condition. We decided to surgery. I would like to ask you about the surgery (method of operation), how your son healed, and how he is doing now. Would you please email me at
    milosmum014@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son turns 6 Ina month and has no scaring and looks completely normal as if he never had the defect. His doctor was a blessing I can't thank him enough.

      Delete
  18. Hello
    My son is 18 months and I'm sure he has the same thing. I have been researching since he was born because we knew something was wrong. We were told they couldn't do a circumcision when he was born because he was too small. A few months later the urologist said he could do it and scheduled the surgery. I decided to back out because I thought it was a mistake. I told my husband that if we did the circumcision there would be nothing there. Thank god because I'm 100% sure he has a buried penis. We thought too that it was a micro penis for awhile. Could you please contact me so I can ask you some questions. slowtravler@gmail.com thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My son had the same surgery 2 months ago. The doctor came out after surgery and said he's now an outie. Bandage got removed and he was definitely still buried. Told to come back in month. Ok a month went by same. Couldn't see shaft. I could see just the head if I pushed out. Doctor said come back in 2 years it looks good. What bull! Now 2 months later still inside and it seems the skin right after head of penis is fusing on the inside. I'm so scared this doctor made my son worse. I'm calling a different hospital Monday to try to get a second opinion. It doesn't feel right that he's still buried. I hate that there is no information on what it's suppose to look like afterwards. I can't even see where they did grafting. Please help if you know what it's supposed to look like afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi. My son is also having webbed:trapped penis and im about to meet pediatric urologist this coming week. Can i ask you some questions about the surgery and result? Pls if you can email me mschen.dayre@gmail.com

    Merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, My 8-month old grandson just had this surgery on Friday 1/15. He seems to be doing ok but the bandage came off last night (it was supposed to say on 2-5 days). My son and his wife had no instructions for what to do if the bandage came off early and the surgery center was closed. We are putting antibiotic salve on when we change him, which he absolutely hates. But other than that he is perfectly happy and in no pain or distress at all. The problem is we really don't know if we're applying the salve correctly, and we are not sure if his penis looks the way it's supposed to look post-surgery. I am a little concerned, but don't want to cause undue alarm or stress since I have no idea what it is supposed to look like in the days just after the surgery. Would you be so kind as to contact me privately by email at kpochert@comcast.net? Thank you so much! Your blog is incredibly helpful ... There is so very little info on this condition available, and what is out there is confusing, incomplete, or inaccurate.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, my 16 mos old son just had his penile reconstruction done yesterday. After his dressing came off, I noticed his foreskin was beginning to swell. We were instructed to gently retract the foreskin from the base of the penis but it was difficult to do so since it was swollen. Is this a normal healing process?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi - I’m not sure if you still check this blog’s comments but if you do, 1) THANK YOU for writing it as my 6mo old son is in the same boat and I’m having trouble finding much on the internet event in 2017, and 2) can life send me before and after photos? We too are debating surgery but want to know what it could look like after, and how bad the healing process is. If you respond and I know you’re checking this, I’ll post my email address. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello - this is the same poster as above (11/16/17), but I wanted to let anyone who reads this blog in the future that we ended up getting two opinions for my sons buried penis, and I’m extremely grateful for that. The first was a pediatric urologist who said we could circumcise him and it may or may not look better, he wouldn’t guarantee it, and that if it were his kid he’d just leave it be and presume he’d “grow it of it” as he matured. This was a very reputable urologist in NJ. It didn’t sit entirely right with me so I got a second opinion from CHOP and the urologist there said there was absolutely no way on earth my child would “grow out of” his buried penis, that it was particularly buried and only correctable by surgery, and not by a circumcision exactly but a modified form of it. They ended up taking skin from the part of the foreskin that gets removed during the corcumcision, and reattaching it to the shaft of the penis to add room there. They then put a couple stiches(?) at the base of his penis to keep it from just collapsing back into his pelvic area. While we won’t know for sure how this all turns out till he’s sexually active someone and we see if everything is usable/pain-free, for now we wouldn’t be happier with the results. It was an angry wound when the bandages first came off but he honestly didn’t seem bothered by it (even though he was already 8 months old when we got the surgery), and it has healed so nicely you’d never know to look at his penis that it was once buried. If anyone wants to see before/after photos, just email me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops - for before/after pics, email me at Lesczuk@temple.edu

      Delete
    2. Oh geez, ok same posted as the prior 3 but I remembered one more thing: I also called the doc this blogger used and while they were very confident they could also help, 1) their online specialty showed they mostly dealt with grown men not babies, 2) we would have had to travel to NYC for a consultation and California for the operation itself, and 3) the office just sounded a little too confident they could fix things, if that makes sense. They hadn’t even seen my son yet and they were saying “of course we can fix it!” I appreciated how thorough the CHOP doctors were both in examining my son, talking me through how many infants they’d done this procedure on, and drawing me tons of diagrams to help me visualize what needed to be done. They took the time to look at my son and make me feel comfortable before just flippantly saying “yes we can help!” Just wanted to throw that out there. Children Hospital of Philadelphia for the win! (Though we had the surgery done at their Vorhees, NJ location)

      Delete